b-hebrew - Limits of exegetical aids Was: Elohim not Plural

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Limits of exegetical aids Was: Elohim not Plural
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:30:47 -0500

Shoshana, you  want to include the talmud etc. as the lens
by which to view the tanak. Yet, others want to use the NT.
Why should one be privileged over the other? You may think
that only your sacred scriptures hold the key, but others
equally vehemently think only theirs does.
To my way of thinking, both are late and tendentious.
The Hebrew Bible ought to be interpeted on the basis
of itself and other contemporary documents.
I'd say before 150 bce, and the DSS copies of the tanak.
liz