b-hebrew - One God.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ian goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: b- hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: One God.
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:11:36 +0000 (GMT)

Many of the answers given here have been very helpful.
Can we agree then that although the LORD maybe one,
His name in 'Elohim' though implies that there is more
to his being than is found in the way that we may
refer to a man as being 'one'.

I'm not suggesting that the God of Genesis 1 is plural
ie, gods, or that there is more than one God at work
here in creation, but that the name Elohim indicates
that some aspect of His nature is multifaceted, able
to be who He wants to be.
That a singular description would be inadequate.

Ian.