b-hebrew - RE: Numbers 22.18 (actually Genesis)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Brent Emery" <brent.lynn.emery AT prodigy.net>
  • To: "Bill Rea" <cctr114 AT it.canterbury.ac.nz>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Numbers 22.18 (actually Genesis)
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 15:37:57 -0800

Bill I think you have some good insights here. Tell me what you think about
this although it was not original with me. In a 1988 BR snippet William
Propp argues for the following. In the context of waiting, Isaac is
expecting for Esau to return and share a meal together before he blesses
him. In the intervening time Jacob comes in forgetting (on not thinking
about) that Isaac is expecting Esau. The first question from Isaac is "who
are you". While this may sound like a straitforward question, Propp argues
that the question "who are you" can idiomatically mean "how did things go ie
so tell me what happened". The phrase "who are you" can also literally mean
"identify yourself". Why would Isaac who is expecting Esau ask him to
identity himself? What if the question he is posing is "so how did things go
on the hunt?" When Jacob fails to understand the question idiomatically and
says "I am Esau your son" I think this tips Isaac off to something gone
awry. The example Propp gives to show the idiomatic usage for "who are you"
comes from the book of Ruth. In Ruth chapter 3, Ruth goes to Boaz at night
and he awakens asking "who are you"? She replies by giving her name and
status. Later after Ruth returns to Naomi, Naomi asks "who are you". After
travelling from Moab to Bethlehem and living together one would think that
Naomi is not asking for Ruth's identity but idiomatically "so how did things
go last night"? Applying this to the Genesis narrative Isaac asked who are
you idiomatically and got a literal answer from Jacob (one that he
presumably would not have gotten from Esau)tipping him off to someone else
being present. Would love to hear your feedback. shalom, brent emery