b-hebrew - Re: Numbers 22.18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "Nicholas Lamme" <nlamme79 AT hotmail.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Numbers 22.18
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:41:13 +0200

> However, I was very interested in your suggestion that the narrator of
the story
> where Isaac blesses Jacob implies that Isaac was an active participant in
> the deception. What are the evidences in the text for this or where can I
> find any more information on this? Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> ---
Interestng! A close reading of the text indicates that Jacob made a
reasonable attempt to ascertin the identity of his son, but in the end he
expressies his puzzlement and perplexity with the statement, "The voice is
Jacob's voice, but the hands are Esau's hands!" When the plot is discovered,
Jacob does not rejoice, but says that Jacob stole the blessing that was
rightfully Esau's.
The whole tenor of the narrative is that Jacob, with his mother's
instigation and cmplicity, robs his brother of his blessing, just as
previously he has cheated him of his birthright.
Rather than approve of Jacob and Rebecca's duplicity, the narrator has them
both punished - Jacob by long exile from his father's house, by being
deceived himself time and time again by Laban, and by never seeng his mother
again; and Rebecca by never seeing her beloved son again.
Isaac is an active participant in the story, a major character, but he
certainly did not contrive to deceive himself. It was Divinely ordained and
executed by Jacob and Rebecca.
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies