b-hebrew - Re: The Gospels being in Hebrew originally

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: Peter Kirk <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Gospels being in Hebrew originally
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:28:56 -0800

on 11/15/01 4:44 AM, Peter Kirk wrote:

> Contrary to what one might expect, however, the book of Hebrews is written
> in the purest Greek of any book in the New Testament.

Peter,

I assume you are talking about Hebrews minus the extensive OT quotations.

I wonder what sort of criteria one uses to measure "pure Greek." The
discourse structure of the Epistle to the Hebrews includes a lot of deeply
imbedded hyper-ordination which is not typically associated with Hebrew
texts. However, until some presents a full set of rules for producing a
"pure" Hellenistic Greek paragraph, I will continue to protest the notion
that we can postulate a "Hebrew Original" every time we see some author
speaking (writing) Greek with a Hebrew accent.

I live in a multi-lingual community. I hear people speaking "Translation
English" every day of the week. I don't conclude from this that they
composed their sentence first in German or French or Russian and then
translated it before they speak.

greetings,

Clay

--