b-hebrew - Re: Genesis 22 thru 24: Rebekah's age

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Leeroy Malachinski" <Leeroy AT cool.dk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Genesis 22 thru 24: Rebekah's age
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 19:19:00 -0400

A response from Argentina read:

"The point is that Abraham receives the news about his family in Padam
Aram
after the Akeda. Of course, this does not mean that the events told to him
have just happened."

LM:
The genealogy that is 'appended' to the Akeda is of course what Sarna has
termed "anticipatory use of information" I.e., information that has no
relevance in its immediate context but will soon become meaningful (as
already noted by Rashi's grandson Rashbam at Gen. 1:1). Usually this
information is placed at strategic points (I think Sternberg discusses why
the genealogy was 'appended' exactly at this point).

In this literary (poetic) setting the point is not that of "real
chronology". Rather, the point is to get across the message or for the
literary effect, in accord with the rabbinic principle "there is no late
or early in the Torah" (and indeed in the Bible I guess).

Likewise, the juxtaposition of Sarah's death and the Akeda would, from a
literary perspective, imply that the two incidents were interrelated (the
rabbinic principle of smichut parshiyot). As several people on this list
have made clear, this had an enormous impact on the chronological
calculation. (i.e., Isaac was 37 at the Akeda)

I don't think any modern scholar would deny the rabbis' insight here that
the juxtaposition implies that Sarah died as a consequence of the Akeda,
from a literary point of view, even though the events seem to span a long
time, in "real chronology" - (E.g., Isaac seems to be a boy at the Akeda,
37 at Sarah's death.

Now, Rashi's interpretation is indeed found in other Jewish sources.
However, there are also other voices, in accordance with the Jewish
principle of one Jew (at least) 3 opinions. According to other sources and
different mathematics (that I shall spare you for) she was 14 at the
crucial time (see e.g., R. Hizkuni ad. loc.). R. Abravanel also says that
she could not have been 3 years old since as Charles pointed out she would
have to be very strong at the well incident (ad loc.). He further adds
that the calculations is based on drash (e.g., it bases itself on the view
the Akeda took place just prior to Sarah's death + some other
considerations).

Apart from being a treasured tradition (I suppose) I can imagine many
reasons for promulgating the point of view that she was only 3 years old.
The 3 year old Rivka - a righteous woman from her birth is quite another
than your average (at the time I suppose) teenage bride, indeed a woman
that "boosts your faith" (cf. Charles' point). This point is at least
consistent with the rabbinic tendency to make the good better and the bad
worse (and sometimes even vice-versa!!!). I could, however, think of many
other reasons as well, and the rabbis too provide other reasons. But that
would make a long post even longer!

Brachot,

Leeroy