b-hebrew - Mattfield article.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ian goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Mattfield article.
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 17:29:02 +0100 (BST)

Walter.
In follow up. I've just read the tagged article
attached to your mail.
Are you seriously suggesting that the entire Hebrew
nation lived from generation to generation
perpetuating an entirely false history of itself?
You obviously have an axe to grind about the
reliability of the OT, but most of your conclusions
defy common sense.
Why on earth would a nation so loving cherish the
historical tales of their forefathers if they were
nothing more than lies?
You can't be serious when you write that there was..
"No Moses, No Joshua, No Yahweh"
and that..
"Yahwehism did not arise from a series of revelations
to Abraham in Canaan and the Negeb ca. 2000 BCE -there
was no well of Beersheba".
I don't know that Napoleon ever existed or Plato or
Alaxander, Aristotle, Horice, Bede or even Van Gogh
for that matter. I've no evidence, there isn't much
except a few written accounts and some bits and bobs.
But I believe the accounts I've read of them, why?
Because making up such complex accounts defies common
sense, what would be the point. No one wants to
believe a lie, lies are soon forgotten, but people
will base there lives and those of entire nations on
what is widely accepted as the truth.
Sory Walter I cannot accept your conclusions. It's
more likely that the myths of the surrounding nations
are drawn from the ancient story of Genesis than vice
versa. It certainly makes more interesting reading.

Anyone else got any thoughts??