b-hebrew - Re: Egyptian Vowels

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Greg Jordan <jordan AT chuma.cas.usf.edu>
  • To: "Matthew R. Miller" <biblicalscribe AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Egyptian Vowels
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 18:33:10 -0400 (EDT)

The Massoretes didn't *perfectly* preserve the vowels of ancient Hebrew,
as we know from earlier sources (see Sperber etc.).
The other sources of info. on Egyptian vowels are early transcriptions
into languages with ways to represent vowels, and comparison to other
Afro-Asiatic languages and the reconstructed prehistory of the language
family. Plus some vowels can be surmised from Coptic (the liturgical
language of Egyptian Christians, descended from Ancient Egyptian,
written in a script that includes vowels). But even after all that, we
often have no idea for a particular word what it's vowels were. Thus the
"e" is inserted between consonants just so we can pronounce the Egyptian
words when we are talking about them :)