b-hebrew - Re: Heaven or Sky?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "SPAWN OF A JEWISH CARPENTER: CINDY SMITH" <cms AT dragon.com>
  • To: B-HEBREW AT FRANKLIN.OIT.UNC.EDU
  • Cc: cms AT dragon.com
  • Subject: Re: Heaven or Sky?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:31:06 -1300

>From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
>To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: FW: heaven or sky?
>Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:35:51 -0400

>One great benefit of having an electronic-edition of the middle L & S is
>the ability to do a "reverse search" i.e querying on an English word, and
>finding the Greek listing.
>This, BTW, is possible to do also on the big LSJ on the Perseus site.

>I have found AIQHR for sky
> KUKLOS for the vault of the sky
> POLOS 2. the sphere which revolves on this axis, i.
>e. the vault of heaven, the sky or firmament, Lat. polus, Aesch., Eur.

I couldn't find these Greek words in either the Septuagint or the
New Testament. Would you please cite the verses where these words
appear so I can look them up? Thanks.

>Feel free to post this to the list ( although I share your reservations
>about Greek on a Hebrew list <g>

>Regards,
>Maurice

>Maurice A. O'Sullivan
>[Bray, Ireland]
>mauros AT iol.ie

>" With computers we can now misinterpret Scripture at speeds never before
>possible"

Cindy Smith I have further observed under the sun that
cms AT dragon.com The race is not won by the swift,
cms AT 5sc.net Nor the battle by the valiant;
cms AT romancatholic.org Nor is bread won by the wise,
Nor wealth by the intelligent,
Me transmitte sursum, Nor favor by the learned.
Caledoni! -- JPS Ecclesiastes 9:11