b-hebrew - Thwm

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Thwm
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 06:20:19 +0200

In regards to Penner's observation that thwm "may be" A PROPER NAME- it is
my understanding that some scholars have posited that it is ultimately
derived from Tiamat, a goddess who in Mesopotamian myths personified the
Salt Water Ocean. She and her husband, Abzu (the Fresh Water Ocean) mingled
together and from them the gods were born.

This myth understands that in the beginning was the sea, rather like Genesis
1, in the beginning there was the deep (tehom) and God's spirit or wind
(ruach) hovering over it. Some scholarly speculation has it that the Hebrews
"de-mythologized" Tiamat the goddess -the salt sea- and transformed her into
only a body of water, harmonizing all this with there being only one God,
who wasn't born of Tiamat. Thus some would say Genesis is a polemic,
offering a view about God contra the Mesopotamian concepts of the origins of
the gods.

All the best, Walter

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld
Walldorf by Heidelberg