b-hebrew - Re: Exodus 3:14 again (long)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT home.com>
  • To: "Stoney Breyer" <stoney AT touchwood.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Exodus 3:14 again (long)
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:17:28 -0500

Stoney,

Thanks for an interesting post. In response to one point you make, I have a
particular interest. "SB: But surely the fact that the designation is never
used again suggests very strongly that we should NOT take seriously the
implication that His name is 'ehyeh?"
I want to call to your attention two articles of mine from long ago in which
I tried to show that )hyh is in fact an allomorph of yhwh in several other
places. They are: "Initial 'Alef-Yod Interchange and Selected Biblical
Passages," Journal of Near Eastern Studies 37 (1978): 3,227-236; and "The
Divine Name )hyh As A Symbol of Presence in Israelite Tradition," Hebrew
Annual Review 2 (1978), 101-118. I will be interested to learn if you think
I made my case or not.
Shabbat Shalom,
Charles