b-hebrew - Re: Leviticus in the DSS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Leviticus in the DSS
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 15:01:34 -0700

Joseph,
I don't know where this person got their information, but try to pin
them down on Sukenik and Yadin, i.e. get specific bib info and
check, because according to my database of biblical quotes in the
DSS, these verses are not preserved. 1QLev may perserve verses
30 and 31, but it's hard to tell because the fragment only has a
total of 6 letters. The nearest other fragments are from
11QpaleoLev, which preserves verses 11-19, and 4Q367, which
preserves verses 30-34. As far as I have discovered (and my book
on this subject is just about to go to press), verses 28 and 29 have
not been preserved in the DSS. Your friend seems to have gotten
some bad information.

> Hi everyone!
>
> I've got a problem that I can't pin down by myself. In a discussion
> about early Israelite religious practices Leviticus 27:27-29 came up as as
> an example how "gifts" to YHWH were treated -- and was prompted told (in no
> uncertain terms!) that the God of Israel would not condone such behaviour
> and that the DSS version of Leviticus 27:28-29 has a variant reading which
> goes (second hand material, sorry):
>
> > [Lev. 27:28] Notwithstanding, no devoted
> >thing, a man may devote unto HaShem of all that he
> >hath, whether of the work of man or of beast, or of
> >the field of his possession, shall be sold or
> >redeemed; every devoted thing is most holy unto
> >HaShem.
>
> When I pointed out that the Masoretic text doesn't read like this -- it
> allows for men, or beast or even land to be dedicated not just their
> "work", I was informed that this particular reading was from the "Qumran
> material". I then pointed out that Lev. 27:28-29 doesn't show up in either
> __The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible__ or in Harold Scanlin's listing of biblical
> passages in the DSS material in his __The Dead Sea Scrolls & Modern
> Translationsand of the Old Testament__, but my says that they aren't
> reliable and that such Israeli scholars as Dr. Eliezer Sukenik and Yigal
> Yadin are on record as to the existence of this part of Leviticus in the
> DSS -- ditto for the Encyclopedia Judaica. So I'm confused, who's right?
> Any help will be much appreciated.
>

> With Mettaa,
>
> Joseph Crea
> <Joseph.Creaworldnet.att.net>
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [dwashbur AT nyx.net]

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at."

  • Leviticus in the DSS, Joseph Crea, 07/06/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Leviticus in the DSS, Dave Washburn, 07/06/2001