b-hebrew - Re: Covenant of Salt

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Disciple" <disciple AT disciplesofchrist.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Covenant of Salt
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 10:33:22 -0400

Lev 2:13 And every oblation of thy meat offering shalt thou season with
salt; neither shalt thou suffer the salt of the covenant of thy God to be
lacking from thy meat offering: with all thine offerings thou shalt offer
salt.

2Ch 13:5 Ought ye not to know that the LORD God of Israel gave the kingdom
over Israel to David for ever, [even] to him and to his sons by a covenant
of salt?

Eze 43:24 And thou shalt offer them before the LORD, and the priests shall
cast salt upon them, and they shall offer them up [for] a burnt offering
unto the LORD.

Mar 9:49 For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall
be salted with salt.
Mar 9:50 Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith
will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another

"There was a chamber in the court of the temple called the chamber of salt,
in which they laid it up. Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt?
God would hereby intimate to them that their sacrifices in themselves were
unsavoury. The saints, who are living sacrifices to God, must have salt in
themselves, for every sacrifice must be salted with salt (Mk. 9:49, 50), and
our speech must be always with grace (Col. 4:6), so must all our religious
performances be seasoned with that salt. Christianity is the salt of the
earth. "

Matthew Henry's Commentary