b-hebrew - Golden Calf article

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Golden Calf article
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 00:29:34 +0200

Available at my website is the following article (if interested, click on
the url in my signature and navigate to the OT Menu)-

"The Non-Egyptian Origins of Israel's Golden Calf Worship"

This brief article, utilizes archaeological findings to cast a light upon
the origins of some Israelite traditions, and challenges the biblical
portrayal of Israel's "Golden Calf Worship" as coming from Egypt. Instead,
it will be argued that it is derived from Canaanite concepts, which in turn
have modified earlier Syrian and Mesopotamian sources.

All the best, Walter

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld
Walldorf by Heidelberg
Baden-Wurttemburg, Germany
http://bibleorigins.homestead.com/index.html

  • Golden Calf article, Walter Mattfeld, 06/21/2001