b-hebrew - RE: A new tack on 'asher

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Glenn Blank" <glennblank AT earthlink.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: A new tack on 'asher
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:37:06 +0100

Thank you for your clear statement of an issue which I have raised before
but not stated so clearly.

I was interested in your example from Genesis 2:8 which shows ):A$ER
functioning as a true relative pronoun, as the transitive verb has no object
apart from the ):A$ER. But from my own observations (and from working with a
language which has a complementiser but no relative pronoun), I rather think
that this case is exceptional. And BDB supports me (in the introduction to
its article on this word): "As a rule ):A$ER is a mere _connecting link_,
and requires to be supplemented (see the grammars) by a pron. affix, or
other word, such as $FM, defining the nature of the relation more
precisely."

The exact construction may depend on the case role of the antecedent in the
subordinate clause. In Hebrew, when the antecedent is the subject there is
no distinction as a pronoun subject would be dropped anyway, cf. there would
be no distinction between "[I saw the dog] that bit him" and "[He said] that
it bit him", if the "it" is dropped anyway. Now it may be that, as in
Genesis 2:8, the pronoun can also be dropped if the antecedent is the
object. But I don't think it can be with oblique cases, e.g. in Genesis 1:11
we have not *B.A):A$ER ZAR:(OW but ):A$ER ZAR:(OW-BOW. BDB does state (part
of point 2) that "Very occasionally there occurs the anomalous constr.
(IM ):A$ER Gn 31:32 for ):A$ER (IM.OW". BDB then continues (point 4): the
defining pron. adjunct is *dispensed with* - _a._ when ):A$ER represents the
simple subj. of a sentence, or the direct obj. of a vb...".

I suggest that you look in more detail at this article. There is a lot more
of it! But I don't think it settles the issue either way in the Exodus
verse. GKC also has a long section, 138, on The Relative Pronoun (sic),
which should provide plenty of examples, but I don't have time now to look
at this in detail.

Peter Kirk