b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 40:26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: GregStffrd AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: ebedyah AT elite.net
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 40:26
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:59:37 EDT

In a message dated 06/14/2001 2:20:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ebedyah AT elite.net writes:

<< In context, owniym means "might" or "strength." To claim that it means
"dynamic energy" in order to match Einstein's theory is typical of some of
the liberties the NWT often takes. None of the seven translators of the NWT
had any training in Hebrew or Greek, and it seems many of the
interpretations are intended more for doctrinal purposes than accuracy.

Rev. Dave Humpal ebedyah AT elite.net >>

Dear Dave:

You offer no analysis of the context to support your point. Please do so and
comment on what I previously offered. You also make an assertion about the
NWT translators that is unproven, inaccurate, and uncharitable. What you
should have said is that they had no FORMAL training in Hebrew. But that is
not the only training available, and I think if anyone with an objective mind
looks critically at the NWT OT, he/she will find a very high level of
scholarship.

Best regards,

Greg Stafford