b-hebrew - Re: Song of Songs 1000/200

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Song of Songs 1000/200
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 07:55:44 -0700

Samuel,
What are the sources for saying that allegorical interpretation of the
book was the "main" reason it was included? We know that both
Jewish and Christian interpreters took allegorical approaches (e.g.
Philo) but I'm not sure the Council of Jamnia included the book for
this "main" reason. Wasn't the principal criterion one of authorship?

> > So it is fitting that God devote a small segment of the Bible
> > to this reality.
>
> Does not this rather see "the Bible" as if it came down from heaven, ready
> packaged? It ignores that MEN selected certain books for inclusion, and for
> certain reasons.

If indeed this is the approach you take to the Bible, how can you
assert above that the council made a "right" decision? If, contrary
to the Bible's own claims that Harold has already mentioned, it's
simply a collection of human writings selected by men for their own
reasons, then no decision of inclusion or exclusion was
necessarily "right" or "wrong," so it seems to me there's a bit of
internal inconsistency here?

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at."