b-hebrew - RE: BH Syntax

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Serge Lyosov" <lyosovs AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: BH Syntax
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 21:34:01 +0400

Dear Colleagues,
I am finishing a paper on what I call “autocommentary” in BH narrative prose. My claim is that most of the asyndetic clauses in author’s speech indicate author’s presence in a special way, i.e. the asyndeton has a distinctive pragmatic function, see e.g. 2 Sam 8:14 (a very salient example). I looked through most of the standard reference grammars at “asyndeton” and “apposition”. Gibson’s Syntax does adduce a relevant text or two, labeling them “appositional”, but otherwise I did not found any meaningful mention of the phenomenon. Do you know of any discussion of asyndetic clauses in BH prose?
Serge Lyosov