b-hebrew - Re: BH: indicative nunation?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor Peterson" <speederson AT erols.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: BH: indicative nunation?
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 08:31:16 -0400

The way it was presented to me (I think following Steve Fassberg, although
I don't know the publication), the n would come originally from the
presence of the -a(m) volitive ending, functioning somewhat comparably to
the Akkadian ventive. If that were the case, it wouldn't always be
present. Quite possibly the -ekka ending would show it where it does
appear. (van der Merwe, et al., says that this form of the endign shows
the assimilated n, but there is no attempt to explain why it's there.)