b-hebrew - Re: "cross over" in Exodus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: "cross over" in Exodus
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:43:12 -0700

Charles,
> I think the reference here is to the method of counting by the use of
> single-file lines. I don't think the root `-b-r here means "cross over,"
> but simply "pass by" or even "traverse an area" [as in the description of
> YHWH passing through the land of Egypt; the "pass over" idea is from the
> root p-s-H, of course]. The Mishnah [Bekhorot 9.7], in an interesting
> aside, describes a method of counting sheep by forcing the flock into an
> enclosed area with an exit so narrow that only one can "pass through" at a
> time. This allows an official to make an accurate count as a basis for
> tithing the animals properly. Likewise, it would seem impossible to get an
> accurate count of eligible soldiers if one had to visit numerous places
> looking for them, so the mustering of all to be counted into a single place
> appears a likely method to control accuracy. Note Rashi: derekh hamonin
> ma`avirin 'et hanimnin zeh 'aHar zeh ["the method of counters is to make
> those being counted pass by one after another"].
>
> The root p-q-d here in Exodus 30 almost certainly refers to a military
> muster. The expression, "20 years and older" is common in the Book of
> Numbers, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the reply and the good insights. As often happens, the
answer to one question gives rise to yet another question. Does
this suggest that the half-shekel tax was only levied on eligible
soldiers? I've always been under the impression that everybody
was required to pay it, soldiers or not. Have I misunderstood
something?

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated." C. S. Lewis