b-hebrew - northern hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Adam B. Lipstadt" <abl215 AT nyu.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: northern hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 23:20:07 -0500

Hi. I was wondering if one of the learned memebers of the
list could point me to any academic literature that discusses
the nature of the (pre-exilic) northern Hebrew dialect.
Work done primarily from inscriptions would be very valuable to me.

I was planning to apply this to work on Biblical poetry,
primarily on Ex. 15; if there are any such studies, I would
appreciate knowing that as well :-)

Many thanks (in advance).

---
Adam Lipstadt
abl215 AT nyu.edu
New York University

"It is a widely accepted notion among painters
that it does not matter what one paints, as
long as it is well painted. This is the essence
of academicism. There is no such thing as a
good painting about nothing. We assert that
the subject is crucial and only that subject
matter is valid which is tragic and timeless.
That is why we profess a spiritual kinship with
primitive and archaic art."

Mark Rothko