b-hebrew - Re: Out of Egypt

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Out of Egypt
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:37:36 -0800

The fundamental problem I have with things like this is: If we are to reduce the Biblical accounts to speculation and embellishment, how is it that our similar speculation and refurbishment 3000 years after the facts (whatever they were) is more worthy of consideration?

Solomon Landers

Polycarp66 AT aol.com wrote:

Some among us hold to a very literal understanding of the BH (and the NT)
while others, including myself, do not.  I do not write this to attack the
views of those who hold the historicity of these accounts as fundamental to
their faith.  I am simply pointing out for the sake of understanding what I
am proposing that I do not agree with their position.  Nevertheless, the
accounts do not seem to be simply made up out of whole cloth.  Beneath them
there usually seems to lie a kernal of fact which has been transmogrified
into its present form.  It was customary for kings to give grandiose
descriptions of their reigns and accomplishments -- are the accounts of David
and Solomon perhaps no different in this respect?  But the accounts of David
and Solomon are not my concern here.   It has been fairly well established
that Israel grew out of a people indiginous to Palestine.  Why then do we
have an account of the entrance of the patriarchs into Egypt and the
subsequent exodus many years later under Moses?