b-hebrew - off-topic: Ethiopic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Søren Holst <sh AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: off-topic: Ethiopic
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:36:28 +0100

A bit off-topic:

Would any of all you knowledgeable people know how one goes about acquiring
a copy of the classical Ethiopic (Ge'ez) translation of the Bible (primarily
HB/OT)??

As far as I can gather from the web, modern-day translations into Ge'ez have
been done, but what we need is an edition of the traditional text.

J. Oscar Boyd published the Ethiopic "Octateuch" (Genesis-Judges + Ruth) in
1905 and 1909-11, but Amazon is hardly likely to carry that :-)

thanks
Soren Holst
Univ. of Copenhagen