b-hebrew - Paul's quotations (use of Psm 68:18 in NT)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Paul's quotations (use of Psm 68:18 in NT)
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 21:55:16 -0600

Dear Dan,

I am not sure if your post is right about Eph 4, Psalm 68, and Numbers 8,
but it certainly is a beautiful conceptualization, one that attracts me. It
would tie Psalm 68 better with Ephesians 4:8 in context, and would explain
how God could give and receive at the same time. So would you tolerate for
Psalm 68:16-19 a translation something like the following?

A mountain of God is the mountain of Bashan,
a mountain of many peaks is the mountain of Bashan.
Why do you look with envious hostility, many-peaked mountains,
at the mountain which God desires to inhabit,
yes, in which He will reside forever?
The chariots of God are myriad, multiplied thousands,
the Lord among them, the One of Sinai, in the sanctuary.
You ascended to the height,
You led captive a band of captives,
You took gifts among men,
and yes, rebels,
that Yah, God, might reside there.

Thank you for all the work that went into your post. I will share it with
my friends.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard
Dallas, TX