b-hebrew - RE: High priest list in 1Chr 9 & Neh 11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: High priest list in 1Chr 9 & Neh 11
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:09:53 -0000

Ian, you wrote: "I'd be interested in any *non-apologetic* thoughts on the
subject." So I quite deliberately avoided anything like of this nature. I
accept that one or two assumptions may have crept in, but I know you will be
careful to eradicate these from your work. I trust you will also eradicate
such presuppositions as that 1 Esdras has priority over Ezra (I would
suggest that the shortened list in 1 Esdras 8:1-2 is a result of bad
translation of the original in Ezra, and that in general shorter lists are
secondary to longer ones, but I can't prove it). Also I see no evidence for
taking Nehemiah 11:11 as in any sense a "high-priestly" genealogy,
especially when 12:10-11 and 12:26 seem to give the genealogy of the family
line elsewhere called high priests. But I don't want to descend into
apologetics. So I will leave this one with you. If, despite what you wrote,
you are not interested in my thoughts (is it because of my other views
rather than because of their contents?), then you are welcome to ignore
them. I would at least expect your thanks for pointing out an error, which I
never claimed was more than a copying error.

Peter Kirk