b-hebrew - The rooster's wisdom (was: Biblical Humor)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ruthy & Baruch <alster AT bezeqint.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: The rooster's wisdom (was: Biblical Humor)
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 20:50:55 +0200

Shalom!

Charles wrote:

This phrase is picked up by the rabbis and inserted into a
separate blessing among the Shabbat morning blessings. There the blessing
is made to God, and the question framed in Job is answered. "Barukh 'atta,
.... who gave the rooster understanding to distinguish between day and
night."

Sorry, but in the prayer book I use, we say it every morning, the first in
the series of morning blessings (birkhot hashahar). Sephardim say it near
the end of the same series.

Kol Tuv,
Baruch