b-hebrew - Re: Titles of Books of the Bible

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "Cindy Smith" <cms AT dragon.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: <cms AT dragon.com>
  • Subject: Re: Titles of Books of the Bible
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:50:04 +0200

Cindy,
In Jewish tradition the Five Books of Moses (Pentateuch, Torah) are named
after a word in the first verse of the Book.
Thus, the Jewish title of Numbers, Bamidbar (In the wilderness), is actually
the 5th word in the first verse, though the title of Genesis, Bereshit, is
the first word of the first verse.
As for the other books of the Tanakh, they are either named for their
presumed author, like Isaiah; or for an important figure/figures appearing
in them,like Kings; or for the subject matter, like Psalms - Tehillim
(Praises).
There is an ancient tradition, cited in the Talmud, in which the Five Books
of Moses are named for their subject matter, just as in English.
Thus, Genesis is Sefer Beri'at Olam - the Book of the Creation of the World;
Exodus is Sefer Yetsi'at Mitsrayim, the Book of the Exodus from Egypt;
Leviticus is Torat Kohanim - the Law/Instruction of the Priests, etc. The
Greek>English names may have been based on this tradition.
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren
Chairman
Dept. of Biblical Studies