b-hebrew - The Messianic Idea

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yon_saf AT bezeqint.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, Lisbeth Fried <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • Subject: The Messianic Idea
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 21:43:40 +0200

Liz, if you want to explain Isaiah 11 as being exilic, then you also have to
account for such passages as Isaiah 9:1-6, esp. vv. 5-6; Jeremiah 23:5-8,
the last part of his prophecies on the kings of Judah (and which is arguably
talking about the newly anointed King Zedekiah); and Ezekiel 34, esp. vv. 23
ff. Do you want to claim that they are all post-exilic too? (Ezekiel is of
course exilic) And what do you do with with Haggai 2:20-23, from the reign
of Darius I? I think all these prophets are talking about a Davidic scion
about to reign or be born in their own time or close to it.
To me, this appears to be a continuous chain of prophetic hope for an ideal
Davidic king, starting with David and stretching down to the restoration of
the Second Temple, when it is bitterly and finally disappointed. That, in my
opinion, is when the clasical Jewish (and later Christian) idea of Messiah
begins its real development..
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren
Chairman