b-hebrew - RE: The Messianic Idea (Was:Re: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_ )

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The Messianic Idea (Was:Re: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_ )
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:37:52 -0500

Actually, I got it from Blenkinsopp's recent commentary on Isaiah 1-39.
He doesn't make use of Cyrus at all. I think Psalm 89 describes
a pre-exilic notion of a Davidic covenant.
But I agree! It's hard to keep arguments from becomming circular!

> > Prior to 2nd-Isaiah and Cyrus you have such exilic poems as Psalm
> > 89 which show the extreme disappointment in the promises to David.
> > In these biblical texts I don't see an eschatological Messiah.
> > I think you have to wait for Enoch, which I place later, and which
> > is influenced by Zoroastrianism.
>
> That may simply be because different and competing views about the nature
> messiah coexisted and found their way into the canon. Certainly various
> views existed in the centuries surrounding the turn of the era,
> why not inn
> the Bible too?
>
> (BTW, in general yes, I agree, an eschatological view of the messiah does
> come later. I guess I am reading your message as offering
> contrasts between
> Isa. 11 and Ps. 89.)
Yes, Isa. 11 is eschatological. You're right.
Not so Ps. 89, so Isa 11 would be later.

Liz

  • RE: The Messianic Idea (Was:Re: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_ ), Liz Fried, 01/30/2001