b-hebrew - Re: The Messianic Idea (Was:Re: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_ )

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christian M. M. Brady" <cbrady AT tulane.edu>
  • To: H-Bible <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Messianic Idea (Was:Re: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_ )
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 07:41:22 -0600

On 1/30/01 1:24 AM, "Jonathan D. safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il> wrote:

> Christian <. M. Brady wrote:
>
> .
>>>
> (snip) the expectation
>> of the messiah was not new to the followers of Jesus and most of the
>> passages interpreted by the NT authors as messianic either already had
> those
>> overtones in the Tanakh or were already understood in that vein before
> Jesus
>> was a glimmer in anyone's eye.
>
> Now we cme to a new discussion: the development of the Messianic Idea in
> Judaism.
> Let me posit for starters:
> The belief in Messiah developed as a result of the failure of Biblical
> prophecy.
> Let's go!

Well, when you have prophetic statements such as: 2Sam. 7.16 "Your house and
your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me; your throne shall be
established forever" and the reality of the destruction of Jerusalem, etc. a
little reinterpretation is necessary in order to keep the prophecy! ;-)

Cb
cbrady @ tulane.edu
--
Writing bows one's back, thrusts the