b-hebrew - Re: Arabic Bible

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • Subject: Re: Arabic Bible
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 09:08:28 +0200

I must admit that I do not understand what Shoshanna Walker means by "an
accureate rendition". Onkelos, Targum Yonatan and Targum Yerushalmi are not
philologically "accurate" renditions of the Hebrew Bible, but they are
"accurate" renditions of Jewish thinking at the times they were done, and
are thus invaluable for the study of the history of Jewish interpretation.

I am thinking of opening a course on "The Hebrew Bible in Moslem Tradition",
and thus any information on Arabic translations and interpretations
(translation IS interpretation, whether it be LXX, AV or NJPS) of the Bible
would be appreciated, both by the lecturer is to give the course and by
myself.
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren
Chairman