b-hebrew - RE: Syriac today

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor & Julie Peterson" <spedrson AT netzero.net>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Syriac today
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 12:46:41 -0500

And even SIL is somewhat ambiguous about where the lines should be drawn
between languages that can still be classifed as Syriac and those that are
merely its descendants. Notice too that a number of the entries identify it
as a literary or kitchen language. I'm not trying to deny that it is still
a living language, or that a significant number of Christian communities
still speak it. But its use today hardly compares with its use in the early
Christian period as anything but "limited." (I hope it's understood on all
sides that we're basically just splitting hairs over what can be called
"limited use." I'd be willing to retract the characterization if it deeply
offends anyone.)

Finally, my original point centered mainly on the grammar of classical
Syriac, so I suppose we would have to throw into the hopper with everything
else the question of whether and how these various modern dialects that
claim descent from Syriac affect the original issue.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics

Download Now http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html
Request a CDROM 1-800-333-3633

  • Syriac today, Peter Kirk, 12/23/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: Syriac today, Trevor & Julie Peterson, 12/23/2000