b-hebrew - Re: Isa 7:14 Dead Sea SCrolls

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Isa 7:14 Dead Sea SCrolls
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 19:04:06 -0700

> Dear Friends,
>
> I understand that Isaiah 7:14 has ALMAH in the MT. Is this the same word
> found in the same verse in the Isaiah scroll of the Dead Sea Scrolls?
> Anyone
> know where I can find the Dead Sea Scrolls on the web with an accompanying
> translation in English? Many thanks.

Tony,
1QIsa(a) reads `almah, and it's the only one I've found that
preserves that part of the verse. 4QIsa(l) officially includes v.14,
but it only preserves the word HINNEH. I don't know of a website of
the kind you describe, and I doubt there will be one soon
considering the legal implications. A good alternative would be
Garcia Martinez' 2 volume study edition of the scrolls. It includes
transcriptions of all but the biblical scrolls with English translation
on facing pages. A handy item.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated." C. S. Lewis