b-hebrew - Re: Job 42:1-6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "myron kauk" <myronkauk AT integrityonline30.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Job 42:1-6
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:51:46 -0600

Bill Rea wrote:

>I don't think the dust and ashes are symbolic of the suffering
>Job endured. In the Hebrew scriptures it appears in times of
>extreme grief or repentance people really did use dirty dust
>and grubby ashes as part of the outward expression of how they
>felt. Unless we have compelling reason to believe otherwise the
>dust and ashes in verse 6 are intended to be genuine article.

I am thinking in particular of Job 2:8 "And he took a potsherd to scrape
himself while he was
sitting among the ashes ['EPER]." (NAS).

Also Job 2:11-12 "Now when Job's three friends heard of all this adversity
that had come upon him, they came each one from his own place,
Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite;
and they made an appointment together to come to sympathize with
him and comfort [WULNAHMO - Piel Inf Const from NHM] him. When they lifted
up their eyes at a distance
and did not recognize him, they raised their voices and wept. And each
of them tore his robe and they threw dust ['APAR] over their heads toward
the
sky."

Job was sitting in an ash heap. His friends came to comfort him. They
mourned and threw dust on themselves. They failed. Job has an encounter
with God. Now he is comforted concerning the dust and ashes, the things he
suffered and mourned over. He is no longer mourning but comforted. My
point is, that in doing so, Job does not admit to any guilt or blasphemous
attitude. I am simply opposing the analysis that says the friends, or at
least Elihu, was ultimately right and Job was in the wrong. Usually he is
accused of pride for wanting to approach God. I think Job is to be
commended in that his suffering drove him towards God rather than away from
God.

Grace be with you,

Myron C. Kauk
myronkauk AT iolky.com