b-hebrew - Re: Job 42:5,6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Reginald Wallace Ponder, Jr." <rwponder AT lycos.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Job 42:5,6
  • Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 09:48:27 -0500

Dear Robert,
I don't see how Miles' rendering might be justified on the basis of the
MT. It seems to be a very, very loose paraphrase based on his sense of the
book as a whole. Or, perhaps he is translating a textual variant with which
I am not familiar.
It seems inevitable, however, that one's own sense of the book of Job as
a whole will color the translation of vv5-6 of Job 42. Is Job repenting, or
not? And if he is repenting, then what is he repenting of?
Anyway, my own sense of Job 42:5-6 is as follows:
v5 By the hearing of the ear I had heard You, but now my eye has seen You:
v6 Therefore I shall reject that I should grieve upon dust and ashes.
Thus, Job refuses mournful despair. I have taken the *waw* in v6 to be an
introduction of a dependent clause that functions as the direct object of
*mem-aleph-samek*. Although such a construction would not be expected in
prose, I have found it several places in the Psalms. Since Job is poetry,
this translation seems justifiable. Also, this rendering avoids the problem
of leaving *mem-aleph-samek* without a direct object. Although BH does not
have the same problem English has with transitive verbs lacking objects, it
still is less problematic to construe the *waw* in this way than to leave a
transitive verb bereft of an object.
Of course, *nun-heht-mem* in v6 could be translated "repent," so that
Job would be refusing to repent -- essentially what you are saying, Robert.
But I think that Job does repent: He repents of his despair. (Note that in
Ex. 13:17 this same verb means something like "become discouraged.) What Job
"sees" finally is that his relationship with God is more important than
having clearly formulated ideas about God. The three "friends" represent
exactly the conventional ideas about God. That they, rather than Job, end up
denounced by God suggests that this interpretation is likely.
On another matter: While it is true that Job's friends are not
"idiots," it clearly is the case that they are wrong about Job. Their advice
led him directly into the despair that his "eye" (v5) finally freed him from.
Shalom,
Rev. Reggie Ponder, Jr.
Mt. Tirzah United Methodist Church
Timberlake, NC USA