b-hebrew - RE: Silent or vocal shewa?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor & Julie Peterson" <spedrson AT thesimpsons.com>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Silent or vocal shewa?
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 05:57:03 -0400

One principle that may apply is stated in Jouon-Muraoka (and elsewhere I'm
sure): "In the state of Hebrew as recorded by the Naqdanim, the primary
stress occurs only on the ultima . . . or on the penultima" (15b). They
don't give any exceptions to this principle (although it could be an
oversight), which may suggest that the vocal shewa readings below are
impossible. Now that I've said that, my mind is going to keep haunting me
with the nagging thought that I've probably seen antepenultimate stress
before, but there you have it.

Trevor Peterson
Semitics/CUA