b-hebrew - Re: Dating the flood

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT xsinet.co.za>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dating the flood
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 05:15:31 +0200

Roger Hutchinson wrote:

> (snipped)
> Consequently, we would read Gen 5:15- to say that Mahalalel lived 895
> years and was the calendar reference. Upon his death, people looked for
> another person within his family to be the new calendar. Jared was born
> the next year, became the calendar reference, and lived 962 years. He
> died and Enoch was born and lived 365 years. The time spanned by these
> three men would be 895+962+365 years or 2222 years.
>
> This method would date the flood at 4990 BC. Has anyone seen this before
> and are you aware of any reaction to it?

I don't think it is likely because of the sudden reduction
in lifespans between Eber and peleg, indicating that the
gaps may be concentrated in a particulat place rather than
being spread out.

But I think there is some support for the idea that if there
is an overall chronological purpose for the genealogies, the
people included may have been chosen with the idea that if
you add up the lifespans of the people listed you get an
approximate amount of time that is covered by the
genealogy. The support comes from the Exodus 6 genealogy of
Moses. If you add up the figures given (Exod 6:16, 18, 20;
7:7) you get 137 + 133 + 137 + 80 (age of Moses at the
exodus) = 487 years. The time from the birth of Levi to the
exodus would be about 430 (time of Israel in Egypt) + 44
(approximate age of Levi when he entered Egypt) = 474 years.

Assuming thast this was the principle behind the genealogies
of Genesis 5 and 11 would be somewhat speculative, however,
being based on this one example from Exodus 6 only as far as
I know (or are there others?).

Regards,

John Ronning