b-hebrew - RE: Past and future (isa 53)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dan Wagner <Dan.Wagner AT dstm.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Past and future (isa 53)
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 16:23:50 -0400

I think there's good warrent for taking all as prophetic of the future.

(1) 52:15 is future inside your central section.
(2) Why not take the QATAL forms as "prophetic perfects" (GK)?
(3) It's poetry, not prose, so time of action is very free. Thus we see a
lot of variety, including WAYYIQTOL (53:2), noun clauses & participles,
etc....very diverse, exactly the norm for poetry. In prose we expect more
consistency--not in a "Servant Song."

Dan Wagner