b-hebrew - Re: The Flood

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Flood
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 21:07:32 +0400

You shouldn't assume that the fresh water and the salt water would mix at
all quickly. Lighter fresh water floats on heavier salt water, if I remember
rightly, and so there could be rather little mixing and the water covering
the land might have a very low salt content.

Of course the whole idea of a worldwide flood, lasting a year or so as in
Genesis rather than for geological epochs, is a very difficult one from a
geophysical and mechanical point of view. Where did all that water come
from? And where did it go? There just isn't enough in the oceans to cover
the land and all the mountains, even if the ocean beds were temporarily
raised up. This seems to be a far more serious problem with the story of a
worldwide flood.

Peter Kirk