b-hebrew - RE: Israel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Israel
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:10:50 -0400

They deduce that Sarah is from the root srr, to rule,
so that srh is she ruled. So princess, noble lady.
Whereas Israel is from the root srh, to contend.
In any case, Israel has to be a verbal sentence, as it
begins with y, unless you can find a root that is ysr.
BDB says Israel is either El contends, prevails, or
puts it in the jussive, let El contend, prevail. That isn't
how names go imo, I don't know any names in the jussive.
As for Sarah, I would guess that the theophoic is missing,
as every name in the ane had a theophoric. It is probably
sariah, YHWH, or Yah, rules.
Liz