b-hebrew - RE: Gen 1:1. Kermess

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Gen 1:1. Kermess
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:15:03 -0400

If you refer here to the pointing under the bet in bereshit, the LXX and the
NT,
GJohn 1:1 have en arxh, so the pointing under the b is a schwah. There is no
*the*. Therefore it seems it ought to be translated as "when" or "at first".
Quoting Rashi again, he argues that every case where you have breshit, or
betehillat, it is in the construct. Jer. 26:1; Gen 10:1; Deut. 18:4;
Hos.1:2, but
he states that bara must be read brw(.

> > >have
> > >dropped the "and" at the start of verse 2.
> >
> > Do you translate every w- you find in the OT/HB?
>
> PK: I don't translate it on a word for word basis (note that I was talking
> about a ridiculously over-literal translation). But I do take
> every w- into
> account when deciding on the exegesis of difficult passages. If
> there is an
> unexpected w-, or absence of w-, I don't ignore it.

I think you had a but, a but implies "at the time when".
I think you said "in the beginning God created heaven and earth,
but the earth was ...." The but implies, at the time when God began
to creat the earth was ...and water was ....
So even this translation implies that earth and water existed perhaps as
chaos
(but I don't picture it that way, I picture it as the text says, the earth
dark and
completely covered with water) prior to God's creative activity.

Liz