b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:6-8.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:6-8.
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:20:11 +0100

To your last question, very probably yes (though I forget the details of the
individual case). Too many people have been burnt in the past, these days
they are just treated as outcasts, because they have correctly understood
the author's literary, rather than literal, intention, whereas only a
literalist misunderstanding was acceptable to the authorities. For example,
Galileo was condemned (but escaped burning by keeping quiet) for teachings
against the Bible when the Bible actually has nothing to say about the
scientific matters Galileo taught about, except to those who insist on
taking poetry and metaphor literally.

Peter Kirk