b-hebrew - RE: Gen 1:1 "When God began to create"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Gen 1:1 "When God began to create"?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:01:59 +0100

On Tue 29 Aug 2000 (22:30:55), lizfried AT umich.edu wrote:
> The Hebrew Bible does not have creatio ex nihilo.

That's a very sweeping statement. Creation /ex nihilo/ is the *implication*
of
Gen 1:1. BaRa' is used of creation /ex nihilo/; `a&aH and YaTSa' are possibly
used of new creatures made of newly existent raw material. B:ReY$iYT implies
that there was "nothing there" before the "beginning". Psalm 33:6 and 9
clearly imply creation ex nihilo by the Word of the LORD, by his breath, his
statements, and his commandments. If we may include Hebrews 11:3 in the
"Hebrew Bible" (leaving aside all the other relevant parts of the New
Testament), "by faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's
command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible" MH EK
FAINOMENON (NIV).

The New Testament leaves us in no doubt; but this is not the forum for that
discussion.

Shalom
Ben
--