b-hebrew - RE: Light

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Light
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:43:59 -0500

<Noel>
The priestly author did not know the nature of light, its pointless trying
to convince people who believe the texts to be man made that Genesis fits
with science.

<Bill>
I was reading a book on optics recently that said that as late as the 1500's
the two main schools of thought concerning vision were:

* a "skin" came off of each thing, and that "skin" entered the eyes (the
problem being - how we see a big mountain with our little eyes?)

* a huge "probe" extended from our eyes, sensing the things we see (the
problem being - how do we see extremely distant things such as stars?)

I have always read "light" being used in the Genesis context as meaning
"energy".

Bill Ross

  • RE: Light, Bill Ross, 08/29/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>