b-hebrew - Another View of Ex. 24:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Heath Curtis" <heathboc AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Another View of Ex. 24:8
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 19:31:40 GMT

Gordon, Ben and others,

In a recent message concerning Exodus 24:8 Ben Crick gave a long and well thought out reply concerning the interpretation of Ex. 24:8 and resources where different traditions exegete the passage.

However, I would like to note that some of his statements were a little off base. For example, Mr. Crick gave the impression that all Christians believe that the wine in the Eucharist merely represents the Blood of Christ. That is not so. The Roman Catholic, East Orthodox and Lutheran (my own tradition) all believe that through a miracle wrought by Christ's Words of Institution the wine becomes the Blood of Christ and the bread the Body which Christians receive. And we mean it, it's not a metaphor. Check out Luther's Small Catechism or the Catechism of Rome (1994) or the latest Greek Orthodox Catechism.

What does this have to do with Ex. 24:8 you say? Quite a lot when you consider that what we are talking about here is modes of interpretation. One view, especially identified with the Lutheran tradition, is the Christological view of the Old Testament. In this view every part and parcel of the OT refers in some way to Christ. (Cf. John 5:39 and Luke 24) This has profound effects for interpreting the Torah. Thus in this schema, Ex 24:8 and in fact the entire sacrificial system of ancient Israel point to the Messiah's ultimate sacrifice on the cross. The Pesach meal figures the Eurcharist where Christians truly do receive the very Body and Blood of the true Lamb. So, Gordon and others, when you are struggling with interpreting the OT, don't forget another major tradition among the others: the Christological Approach. A good resource is the volume on Exodus in any one of these series: The People's Bible (Concordia Publishing House), Popular Commentary (Kretzmann) or the Lenski commentary.

Hope this helps.
Heath R. Curtis
Student: Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, MDiv
Washington Univ., MA-Classics

PS: If this thread is veering too far off the course set for b-hebrew, please reply to me off-list - HRC