b-hebrew - Zachariah 3:10 (anarthrous nouns translated with articles

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Diana N. Shaw" <DINOSAUR2LIST AT prodigy.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Zachariah 3:10 (anarthrous nouns translated with articles
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 23:35:30 -0600

Came on with a question that I see oddly coincides with a current b-greek thread from Ephesians.
Is there any justification in Hebrew grammar for the KJV use of the article with "vine" and "fig tree" in Zachariah 3:10?  They're anarthrous in the MT (and also LXX), so wondered what the source of the KJV translation was.  [Had never noticed this difference, but saw the NEB translation (which supplies "his," German style) quoted in Judith Baldwin's commentary.  Checked NIV & RSV and found they do likewise.]  With the article, the line sounds a bit Messianic, so the difference doesn't seem negligible.  (My personal preference would be that they not supply anything; just leave them anarthrous.)