b-hebrew - Deuteronomy 33

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Richard Petersen <Richard.Petersen AT noaa.gov>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Deuteronomy 33
  • Date: 18 Jul 2000 09:23:51 -0400

In Moses' blessing of Israel, he gives the preeminent blessing to
Joseph, even blessing that tribe with the best gifts of the earth and
referring to Joseph as the prince among his brothers. This is exactly
what would be expected after reading Genesis 37 - 50. Judah, on the
other hand, is given one of the least blessings. If the Pentateuch is
a late fabrication of the religious leaders; a tool to establish their
authority and to establish Jerusalem as the religious and political
center for all Israel, as I am frequently reminded by some people, why
didn't they take the opportunity to establish Judah as the preeminent
tribe from the beginning? Why wasn't Judah made the salvation of his
brothers and parents? Why didn't all the other bundles of grain and
the sun, moon, and eleven stars bow before Judah? If, as it is
affirmed, the national memory of ancient Israel only went back 200
years, the Priests could have made up any details they wanted. I hate
to say it, but if the Torah was just propaganda, those Priests really
did a lousy job.

  • Deuteronomy 33, Richard Petersen, 07/18/2000