b-hebrew - Orpah and Naomi (wasRE: Aging and the Elderly)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <lewreich AT javanet.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Orpah and Naomi (wasRE: Aging and the Elderly)
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 13:23:10 -0400

On 1 Jul 00, at 9:55, Bill Ross wrote:

> I have no idea, but I just want to mention the account of Naomi
> and her disloyal daughter, Orpah, and her loyal daughter, Ruth. A
> friend pointed out that they stood at the crossroads together.
> Orpah took one road, while Ruth took the road with her mother. It
> was "well with her" as the command promises concerning honoring
> parents.

I wonder whether it can farily be said that the text implies that
Orpah should be regarded as "disloyal". Both Ruth and Orpah
set out with Naomi on the road from Moab to return to Judaea.
And Orpah, along with Ruth, disregarded Naomi's first request
for them to stay in Moab (Ruth 1:8-10). It was only after Naomi's
longer second speech (11-13) that Orpah is persuaded to stay
behind. Ruth is certainly presented as exemplary in her
steadfastness, but it does not seem to me that the story as
presented is intended to denigrate Orpah.

Lewis Reich