b-hebrew - RE: Wayyiqtol Quiz

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joseph Brian Tucker" <music AT riverviewcog.org>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: RE: Wayyiqtol Quiz
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 21:44:15

Randall

Shalom

I have a question concerning your reply:

I was under the impression that wayyiqtol corresponds semantically to the
perfect. But, there is a syntactic and grammatical difference? I saw a
footnote that said "For a hypothesis on how the wc. + impf. came to have a
meaning similar to that of the perfect, cf. Buth 1992: 104."

Is that you? Could you explain, it seems to contradict your view of number
5.

5. Wayyiqtol represents a situation subjectively as Perfective. To which
you said it was misrepresentative. What do you mean?

I don't have access to "The Hebrew Verb in Current Discussions", Journal of
Translation and Text-linguistics 5:91-105. If that is your article, do you
have a copy that can be emailed to me?

Rolf responded:

"I would say that WAYYIQTOL is *imperfective* just as YIQTOL and
represents
the subjective imperfective view of the reporter."

Todah
Joseph Brian Tucker
Riverview Church of God
music AT riverviewcog.org