b-hebrew - Suffix Conjugation of Statives

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joseph Brian Tucker" <music AT riverviewcog.org>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Suffix Conjugation of Statives
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 23:2:44

Shalom

I am trying to put together a clear understanding of suffix conjugation and
the statives. I someone could look at these statements, critique them and
provides guidance on how to understand this topic: (I know that's not
asking much ;)

Stative Verbs Perfective Definition: Verbs describing a state or quality
rather than an event.

Used in past time:
Telic - Possessing a goal or endpoint.
Ingressive - The function that emphasizes the beginning or transitional
stadium of the event indicated.
Constative - Refers to remaining or persisting in a state.

Present time:
Gnomic - Having the character of a rule, proverb, or byword.
Adjectival Present Perfective - Directs attention to the subject's
involvement.
Durative Stative Perfective - Quasi-fientive verbs, indicating an ongoing
emotional response.

State of Affairs - A Stative verb cannot express a 'once-off,' completed
action.
Translation - It always carries a certain element of duration.
The translation is determined by context.
Translation - In dialogue it is usually translated with the present tense.
In narrative it is usually translated with the past tense. (WO,Williams,
vanderMerwe)

Todah
Joseph Brian Tucker
Riverview, MI